Looking at switching to gas devices may be a way to save money while experiencing increases in comfort, convenience and efficiency.
There is a abundant supply of natural gas in the US resulting in low, stable prices per unit, and gas is viewed as the least polluting fossil fuel, therefore, it can be regarded as the most eco-friendly choice.
If you already have gas installed at home, or are completing a new house you may wish to look at the probable advantages of choosing gas and natural gas household appliances. Learn more about gas appliances here from QuickFix Sioux City Appliance Repair:
What are Natural Gas Home Appliances?
A natural gas home appliance makes use of gas as the main fuel source. These home appliances present a practicable substitute for electrical goods for heating your house, heating water, heating your food and even air conditioning and drying your clothes.
In many instances gas appliances still require an electricity supply but use natural gas as the primary fuel. The amount of electricity needed will vary from appliance to appliance. E.g, a gas range can still be used even when there is a power outage, whereas a natural gas dryer still relies upon electricity to make the drum turn.
A List of Appliances That Operate Using Natural Gas.
Natural gas isn’t just for heating.
Keeping yourself warm with natural gas generally costs less than providing heat using electrical appliances. Your expenditure could be cut in half depending on your energy prices and efficiency.
Gas provides higher air temperatures and is more reliable.This is due to gas lines being better protected than power lines.
Apart from keeping your home warm gas is great for a fireplace.Forget the hassle of having to collect or buy logs or clean out the ashes. With a gas fireplace, you still get that open fire feeling and a warm home without the fuss.
Cooling Your Home
Natural gas air conditioners can offer an adept means to keep cool.
Gas air conditioning requires a higher initial investment but is more cost effective on an ongoing basis meaning a better return on your investment. Higher effectiveness also has a positive impact on your carbon footprint.
There are two styles of gas water boilers, non-tank and tank. Natural gas heaters are quicker and more fuel efficient than their electric counterparts. On-demand water heaters also offer a continuous supply. Invaluable if you have a big family that indulges in long showers.
The fact that gas lines are almost always underground and sheltered from the weather ensures you still have hot water even when you don’t have electricity.
Everyone has heard the phrase “cooking with gas”. A great commercial line designed to link the use of gas with effectiveness and efficiency.
Clever marketing or not the phrase has stuck around because it is valid. A great many chefs and home cooks choose gas for the ability to control the heat, and gas hobs also offer a much more efficient way of converting energy into heat.
You may not immediately think of using natural gas in your laundry room, however, natural gas clothes dryers can be an excellent choice. Gas Dryers work a few degrees hotter thus drying clothes in less time.
Natural Gas doesn’t just have indoor uses. Outside, gas is often used for patio lights and cooking and can even be used to heat your spa.
delight friends as soon as they arrive with outdoor lights, keep them warm on cool evenings and get a meal prepared outside at the perfect temperature, when you like, and without the worry of remembering to fill up your propane bottles.
Just like domestic water heaters a pool or spa heater will heat the water twice as fast as an electric equivalent. And natural gas outdoor heaters set the mood as well as offering comfort for the best indoor-outdoor entertaining.
Pros of Gas Home Appliances
With any decision you make it makes sense to look at the pros and the cons. Here are some of the pros.
- Gas is generally cheaper than electricity thus lowering your annual utility costs.
- Gas devices tend to use less energy making them better for your wallet and for the planet.
- Gas is an eco-friendly selection as it is viewed as the cleanest of the fossil fuels, with emissions of around 27% less carbon dioxide than oil and 45% less C02 than coal.
- Gas lines are less exposed to the elements making supply more reliable. This means you can continue to heat your home even if the power goes out.At worst you might need to find a match.
Disadvantages of Gas Appliances
- Natural gas home appliances tend to have a higher initial cost. Both the cost of the appliance and the installation cost are likely to be more.
- Having a natural gas line installed if you don’t already have one can be costly. The price will vary depending on how close the nearest supply is to your home, so it is worth talking to your supplier before making a final decision.
- Moving or extending a natural gas line can also cost a considerable amount so this should always be included in any cost benefit analysis.
- Carbon monoxide poisoning can be a killer if natural gas devices are not installed correctly or regularly maintained. Having a carbon monoxide alarm is a must is you use gas in your home.
Is a Natural Gas Appliance Right for You?
Making the choice between gas and electricity is not always simple and the optimal choice for you probably won’t be the right decision for everyone.
If your main driver is cost gas is currently the lower priced fuel. However, while studies show that three-quarters of new home buyers are choosing to have natural gas, switching to gas is expensive. Therefore, finding out how much a new gas line would cost if you don’t currently have gas appliances is a good first step.
Another benefit of gas is reliability of supply. If power failures are common in your area then having appliances that continue to work during power cuts can be a huge benefit.
Finally, the eco-friendly credentials of natural gas may be relatively short term, as you can’t switch them to renewable sources in the same way you can electrical appliances. Choosing renewable energy could be less expensive and more eco-friendly options in the long run.